Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Who Wants to 'Punish' the Rich?



Do we really 'hate' the rich? Liberals have created this aura or perception, but is it based on any public will or feeling? I don't believe it for a minute. In fact, I believe that most Americans have an admiration and curious interest with the rich. That's because I believe that most Americans hope to become rich!

As a teenager, I took a job as a caddy at Broadmoor Country Club in Indianapolis. It was a great job for two reasons. First, the job introduced me to golf, which is the greatest game and can be played throughout life. Secondly, I had first hand access to successful, rich people for hours at a time.

As I observed the members of the club, I began to notice a number of fascinating details about their lives. Most impressive to a teenage boy was the fact that they drove nice cars, had new golf clubs, and wore nice branded clothes. Simple envy or respect for the lifestyle made me (the teenager) want to be like these folks.

As it turns out, the more subtle characteristics of the rich are the most important aspects of their success. Most of the successful people I caddied for were in fact Entrepreneurs, that is, small business owners. There were some trust fund - family money members, there were also a handful of Corporate members and big business execs (now referred to as 'fat cats' or 'fat cat bankers'), but not that many. The majority of the members were simply entrepreneurs, owning and running smaller business or working for themselves.

Another characteristic that was revealed during their rounds of golf - strong and competitive nature. Most of them hated to lose, even if it was a $10 nassau with their buddies on a Saturday morning. They were hungry, competitive people with an expectation for winning. From my view, they were winning in life.

To wrap up the story of my exposure to the 'Rich', it must be said that I never experienced any ill will or 'hatred' for the members of Broadmoor C.C. In fact, quite the opposite was true. I found myself admiring and studying these people, wanting to eventually be among them.

Perspective on 'Punishing' the Rich


As Liberals gear up for punishing the rich, I got to thinking about what should be done to them... What do everyday Americans think the 'rich' should be tasked with? What if we...:

  • Force the rich to pay DOUBLE the tax rate of average people
  • Establish deductions that are insignificant to rich, only helping middle income families significantly
  • Force extra taxes on the rich, such as employment taxes and high corporate tax rates
  • Regulate them and their businesses, making it difficult to engage in commerce 
See, we ALREADY do all of these things to the alleged 'rich'. What further action should we take to punish them? How much of their hard earned money would Liberals like the Government to take (I say STEAL).

My opinion is that anyone who wants to punish the 'rich' must have given up hope that they themselves will ever be 'rich'. There's simply no justification for further measures. Frankly, there isn't justification for the status quo as the 'rich' are already treated quite differently, aren't they?

Tomorrow, I've got a great addendum to this article regarding TAX RATES. Here's the teaser question: Does the Government (both parties) want higher tax rates (percentages) or more tax revenue (dollars collected)? The two are mutually exclusive... more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment